Intermec Home

How to Buy | Partner Login

Blogs

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Displaying articles for: 04-17-2011 - 04-23-2011

EX25_Warehouse2.jpg

Imagers aren’t usually thrust into the spotlight – they're typically just a highlight to an overall solution. But, the EX25 near/far 2D imager deserves a bit of the spotlight simply because it’s truly a class-leading option in today’s market. Since launching in 2007, the EX25 is now in its third generation, and started as the first unique 2D imager capable of reading barcodes at a distance of 50ft.

Simply put?

Where previous area imagers were based on fixed-focus technology (which limits the maximum distance at which they could read to “arm reach”), the EX25 has added a powerful new future-proofed choice to the warehouse manager’s data capture toolkit, while simultaneously opening the door to a whole new set of capabilities.

Because of this, the EX25c is particularly well suited for WMS applications, as its large scan range provides the best scanning solution for product, pallet and storage barcodes. Plus, it’s ideal for forklift applications as it allows the driver to scan all types of barcodes without having to move.

Let’s look at some of the main benefits:

• Boosted Productivity: The EX25 boosts productivity while reducing user fatigue because there is no need to bend, stretch, twist or turn in order to scan a misaligned barcode. The unique combination of omni-directional reading with large scan range allows very quick and intuitive operation. With the EX25c just point and scan.
  • Greater Ease of Use: One of the challenges in reading at long distance is being able to align the laser line with the barcode. With EX25, there is no need to align. Just aim the bright laser dot on the barcode you want to read. This is faster, quicker and easier than any other aiming method. The EX25c is also equipped with automatic illumination to compensate in low light conditions.
  • Better Efficiency: Even if its optical angle is narrow (14°), its high resolution image capture capabilities (1 Mpix) can be used for documentation of damaged or outdated freight. This means users don’t waste time searching for a digital camera and transferring the images to their network.

Additionally, the EX25 offers an increased scanning distance by 34 percent, a wider optical angle for a shorter distance read, and can even read code down to 3 mils resolution for optimum performance.

Pretty powerful, no?

In my next post, we’ll talk about another of Intermec’s leading scan engines – the EA30.

Reaping the Rewards: Benefits of e-Citation

by Intermec Expert on ‎April 18 2011 03:35 PM

CN3_LawEnforcement385.jpg

You may have read our blog series last summer on e-Citation, but if not I’d like to revisit some of the benefits here. If you think about the last time you got a ticket, it may have been a hand-written paper or carbon copy. Or, was it an e-Ticket that was quickly and easily printed? If so, comment here and let us know if you saw the benefits.

Let’s revisit some of the benefits that we discussed on our previous T2: e-Citation blog series last year.

Increased Productivity:

• Average time to issue a moving violation with a paper-based ticket: 10-15 minutes
  • Average time to issue an electronic ticket: two minutes

Huge difference, no? The time savings, when applied to multiple officers each day, saves thousands of hours of paperwork time each year.

Increased Accuracy:

It’s easy to imagine the errors associated with hand-written tickets. Names spelled wrong, addresses transcribed wrong, missing information – the list can go on and on. Errors, which national studies have claimed 20-30 percent of all tickets contain, invalidate citations, causing them to be dismissed after court review. Legible, accurate citations can provide a deterrent to challenges, allowing for increased revenue. With even a 10 percent reduction in errors, revenue and overall ROI would increase dramatically.

Increased Revenue:

If you think about 20-30 percent of tickets having errors causing them to be dismissed, that’s a lot of revenue that budget-strapped agencies are missing out on. Think of it this way - an average city might issue 200,000 citations a year, and with a modest 10 percent decrease in errors, at an average of $70 per ticket, agencies could experience more than $1 million in increased revenue when multiplied by the 20,000 additional citations they might collect on per year.

Increased Efficiency:

With e-ticketing systems, whether using a mobile computer, laptop or PDA, tickets are sent directly into the court system. As you can imagine, this process is usually backlogged and can take several days or even weeks to process. With e-ticketing the information is immediately available in the records database.

Increased Safety:

A recent Associated Press article noted U.S. police fatalities have increased by 43 percent in 2010, with half of the deaths coming from car or motorcycle crashes where the officers were outside of their vehicle.  One of the major contributors is the officer’s dangerous proximity to oncoming traffic, and the longer the traffic stops, the longer the officer is at risk standing on the side of the road. An electronic ticketing solution enables officers to process traffic stops almost 44 percent faster, significantly increasing officer safety, according to an article on government site Stateline.org.  

As you can see the benefits are clear. In my next post, we’ll talk TCO.

About the Author
  • As Director of Mobile Printers, I currently lead Intermec’s mobile printer strategy. Previously, I led Intermec’s mobile computing, RFID and Data Capture product strategy and marketing teams and have also worked with Intermec’s Industry Marketing efforts for enterprise asset management and field service application solutions.
  • Intermec, now part of Honeywell Scanning & Mobility, is focused on supply chain workflow performance. We design the leading data capture and information management solutions at the interface between mobile workers, assets, and customers. For more information about Intermec, visit www.intermec.com.
  • My passion? helping businesses solve technology problems. I'm currently the Honeywell Smart Printing evangelist , firmware strategist and manager of desktop printers. A big part of my job is to recruit new Smart Printing partners, either as developers or resellers who partner with developers to deliver Smart Printing applications. I worked as an Intermec Systems Engineer for nine months in 2008 as my first position at this company. Prior to Intermec I was a professional software developer, trainer, sales rep and finally director of software teams for a number of small software publishers.
  • Mike Hansen works in the Technology Office as Staff Engineer based in Everett, Wash. He is responsible for the wireless WPAN, WLAN, and WWAN technology direction for Intermec product portfolios. As part of his role, Mike collaborates with Engineering, Marketing, and Technical Partners to establish the technical direction and system engineering leadership in wireless capabilities for Intermec products.
Announcements
Terms of Service
Review Terms of Service »

Kudos
Kudos are a way to give approval to content that you think is helpful, well formed, insightful, or otherwise generally valuable in the community. When you give Kudos to a message, you are not only offering a thumbs up for good content, but also a pat on the back to its author. The net effect is to boost the value of the message and enhance the reputation of its author.

© 2010 INTERMEC TECHNOLOGIES CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.