How to Buy | Partner Login

Blogs

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Special Guest Post: Windows Embedded Handheld

by Intermec Expert ‎January 17 2011 02:58 PM - edited ‎January 17 2011 03:02 PM

70series_overview.jpg

I'm pleased to have a special guest post today from Rene Bernier, an OEM Account Manager at Microsoft, and, our Microsoft Strategic Account Manager to Intermec.  Last week, in conjunction with our 70 Series launch, Microsoft also released Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5.  You can read more about the original announcement on the official Microsoft Blog, and Rene briefs us on their announcement below.

Microsoft Releases Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5

Guest post by Rene Bernier: Operating system based on Windows Mobile 6.5 to power enterprise handheld devices.

Today, I’m pleased to announce the availability of Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5. 

Windows Embedded Handheld is the platform that powers enterprise handheld devices. Businesses such as retailers, delivery companies and others that rely on handheld computers depend on Windows Embedded Handheld to run critical business applications in an environment that integrates well with the rest of their systems, making them easy and efficient to use and to maintain. These devices provide mobile workers with access to real-time information such as inventory, product information and pricing, and they help improve customer responsiveness and sales effectiveness and secure business-critical data.

Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 is built on Windows Mobile 6.5, leveraging that operating system’s capabilities for connectivity, rich applications, security and management. Mobile device makers using Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 will find a familiar, consistent development platform that helps speed time to market.

These device makers can take advantage of Windows Mobile 6.5’s large community of hardware and software vendors, which supply a wide variety of off-the-shelf and custom solutions. By delivering end-to-end solutions for device operating system needs such as data/voice connectivity, manufacturers can focus their efforts on providing the features their customers need most and which differentiate their devices in the market.  

Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 is also more flexible than ever: Intermec can take advantage of multiple screen sizes and input methods, peripherals to extend device capabilities, and multiple connectivity options.

Because we are committed to the success of the handheld indsutry, we are extending the support life cycle for Windows Embedded Handheld to align with the typical five- to seven-year life cycle of business applications in the enterprise. Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 mainstream support runs through December 2014, and extended support runs through December 2019.

I’m excited by the tremendous response we’ve already received from Intermec to develop next-generation devices with Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 — I’m sure you’ll be excited to hear more about what they’ll be doing with the new features and functionality that are now available to them. For now, I’ll share what they’ve told us about the announcement.

Andy Stento, senior director, Global ISV Program at Intermec, said, “Enterprise customers require consistency and predictability from operating systems, coupled with rugged and reliable hardware. The evolution of the OS market is definitely taking shape, and Microsoft Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 is the standard that we are proud to feature on our next-generation platform to deliver the operational efficiency and lower total cost of ownership that businesses need today.”

The team at Windows Embedded is excited to continue building on its commitment to help companies that rely on handheld terminals and ruggedized devices to thrive in today’s global marketplace by offering them innovative products through our partners. I encourage you to keep an eye on the Windows Embedded News Center for news about the Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 platform (including updates from the National Retail Federation’s 2011 BIG Show), and follow the team at @MSFTWEB on Twitter.

Comments
by Cygnis Media(anon) on ‎October 10 2012 05:25 AM

Interestingly metro apps would be possible on Windows Embedded 8, the datasheet states: "Create modern, fresh user experiences with Metro style applications and 
touch interactions from Windows 8." That should open up a ton of new possibilities, and use opportunities.

regards:

Cygnis Media

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
About the Author
  • As Director of Mobile Printers, I currently lead Intermec’s mobile printer strategy. Previously, I led Intermec’s mobile computing, RFID and Data Capture product strategy and marketing teams and have also worked with Intermec’s Industry Marketing efforts for enterprise asset management and field service application solutions.
  • Intermec, now part of Honeywell Scanning & Mobility, is focused on supply chain workflow performance. We design the leading data capture and information management solutions at the interface between mobile workers, assets, and customers. For more information about Intermec, visit www.intermec.com.
  • My passion? helping businesses solve technology problems. I'm currently the Honeywell Smart Printing evangelist , firmware strategist and manager of desktop printers. A big part of my job is to recruit new Smart Printing partners, either as developers or resellers who partner with developers to deliver Smart Printing applications. I worked as an Intermec Systems Engineer for nine months in 2008 as my first position at this company. Prior to Intermec I was a professional software developer, trainer, sales rep and finally director of software teams for a number of small software publishers.
  • Mike Hansen works in the Technology Office as Staff Engineer based in Everett, Wash. He is responsible for the wireless WPAN, WLAN, and WWAN technology direction for Intermec product portfolios. As part of his role, Mike collaborates with Engineering, Marketing, and Technical Partners to establish the technical direction and system engineering leadership in wireless capabilities for Intermec products.
Announcements
Terms of Service
Review Terms of Service »

Kudos
Kudos are a way to give approval to content that you think is helpful, well formed, insightful, or otherwise generally valuable in the community. When you give Kudos to a message, you are not only offering a thumbs up for good content, but also a pat on the back to its author. The net effect is to boost the value of the message and enhance the reputation of its author.

© 2010 INTERMEC TECHNOLOGIES CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.