How to Buy | Partner Login

Developers Forum

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
markevans

How to update Windows version on CN3

Hi

My CN3 has Windows Mobile 5 installed. How can I update this to the latest version (6.5.3)?

Cheers

Mark

GeorgeBrown

Re: How to update Windows version on CN3

This upgrade requires the purchase of a license.  Moreover, if your unit has a CDMA WWAN radio in it, it cannot be upgraded to WM6.1.

The part numbers are as follows:

CN3 without WWAN - 238-055-001

CN3 with GPRS WWAN - 238-056-001

CN3 with CDMA WWAN - No upgrade to WM6.1 available

George Brown
Systems Engineer
markevans

Thanks a lot for the help George. This is all new to me and I'm struggling. I don't know if this gadget has a CDMA WWAN radio. How can I tell? Also I'm afraid that I don't know what to do with those part numbers. I can't find them anywhere on the device or in the settings etc. Do they refer to the upgrade file I need? I can't find them on the downloads page either. So confused....

Intermec Expert
hjgode

Hello

if you post the model code printed on the back of your CN3 we can identify, which CN3 configuration (radios, WM version, language, barcode scanner engine) you have.

Although it is technical possible to upgrade a WM5 CN3 device to Windows Mobile 6.1, it may require a new license. I am not familar with the official upgrade procedure and costs.

We dont offer Windows Mobile 6.5 for the CN3, only 6.1.

regards

Josef

.....................Don't be lazy, give KUDOS........................
-------------==========================--------------
See all my tips and tools at hxxp://www.hjgode.de/dev
and the NEW http://www.hjgode.de/wp
code at google com:
http://code.google.com/p/itc-keyboard/
http://code.google.com/p/rdesktop-ce/
http://code.google.com/p/win-mobile-code/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk
markevans

Hi Josef

Do you mean the number on the back marked "CN"? This is:

CN3A2A830G2E200

The "SN" is:

There's plenty of other numers such as:

N309

CE0981

The situation is that I'm an experienced developer but have never worked with mobile devices before. I've started a new job and I figured that the first thing to do was make sure I'm working with the latest versions of everything. That's why I'm trying to update the device. Is this a good idea do you think? What are the implications of needing a licence? Is this something I must buy from Microsoft? Any idea of the price?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Mark

GeorgeBrown

Based upon that configuration number, it is a GPRS WWAN unit and thus can be upgraded to WM6.1.  This is not a free upgrade, however.  The software/license must be purchased from Intermec.  The part number is shown in my previous post.

Check the Intermec website for a link to sales in order to contact an Intermec reseller in your area.

George Brown
Systems Engineer
Administrator
DanO

[ Edited ]

Hey Mark

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

Typically speaking, any programs that run on WM5 will also run on WM6.  While that may not *always* be the case, I have generally found it to be true.  I personally wouldn't worry about upgrading to WM6 on your CN3 unless you have a specific need of some kind in your application to do so, or all of your users will be on WM6 exclusively, etc.

As far as upgrading your device if you still want to pursue that, you would need to talk to an Intermec sales agent or one of our partners and they can get you the current price for an upgrade License kit.  The upgrade process itself is just a quick firmware flash - that generally takes about 10-20 minutes, and then you're done.

DanO

Dan Ockenfels
Community Manager
Intermec Developer Support
markevans

Thanks very much for your advice George and Dan. I won't rush in to upgrading. I'll do a bit of research on the differences between these operating systems first.

I can see this forum is going to be a big help as I learn about mobile development.

Cheers

Mark

GeorgeBrown

Hi Mark

You will find one significant difference between WM5.0 and WM6.1, and that is how memory is managed.  WM6.1 does a much better job.  I won't go into all the gory details as you can find these online in the msdn and other blogs.  In general, if you are designing an app, try to minimize the number of DLLs it needs to load.  In other words, if you are designing your program and want to logically split out functionality into a series of DLLs, this probably wouldn't be an issue under WM6.1 but might very well cause you to run out of memory in WM5.0.  Just something to keep in mind...

George Brown
Systems Engineer
DarrenBeckley

I posted a document with lots of links to information on the "virtual memory" issue that George is referring to. You can find it here:

http://community.intermec.com/t5/General-Development-Developer/INFO-Virtual-Memory-on-Windows-CE/m-p...

Darren Beckley
Technical Consultant
Intermec Technologies UK Ltd